Tongue cleaners or tongue scrapers are simple yet effective tools to keep your tongue clean, maintain oral hygiene, and improve overall health. Tongue cleaning is an important practice that most people ignore. The truth is that It is as important as brushing your teeth. The oral care routine remains incomplete without tongue cleaning. A tongue-cleaning tool such as a copper tongue scraper plays a very important role in maintaining good oral health.
The tongue is considered the mirror of one’s internal organ health. From ancient times to the modern day, doctors look at a person’s tongue to get a clue about their general health and well-being. So keeping your tongue clean is very important.
Titbits From the Past - Benefits of Tongue Scraping
In Ayurvedic medicine, tongue cleaning or tongue scraping is considered an important daily ritual for maintaining oral and digestive health. According to Ayurvedic principles, the tongue is a reflection of the digestive system and can provide insight into a person's overall health.
Tongue cleaning is believed to remove toxins and bacteria from the tongue, promoting fresher breath and a healthier body. It is also thought to stimulate the digestive system and improve digestion by removing any buildup of ama, a type of toxic buildup that can accumulate in the body and lead to various health problems.
In Ayurvedic medicine, tongue cleaning is typically performed in the morning as part of a daily oral hygiene routine. A specialized tool, such as a copper tongue scraper or copper tongue cleaner, is used to gently clean the surface of the tongue.
Overall, tongue cleaning is an important aspect of Ayurvedic medicine and is considered a key component of maintaining oral and digestive health. By incorporating this practice into your daily routine, you can help improve your overall health and well-being. Similarly, in traditional Chinese medicine, tongue cleaning was viewed as a way to cleanse the body and promote overall health and well-being.
Ancient tools used for tongue cleaning
1. Copper Tongue Scrapers:
Copper was one of the most popular materials used for tongue scrapers or tongue cleaners in ancient times. Copper was believed to have antimicrobial properties, making it an effective tool for cleaning the tongue and promoting oral hygiene.
2. Wooden Tongue Cleaners:
Wood was another popular material for tongue cleaning in ancient times. Wooden tongue cleaners were often made from a variety of materials, including neem wood, which was believed to have antiseptic properties.
3. Ayurvedic Tongue Cleaners:
Some traditional Ayurvedic practitioners used specialized tongue cleaners made from various materials, including copper, silver, and gold. These cleaners were believed to have specific health benefits and were used to promote overall health and well-being.
These ancient tools were used to gently scrape the surface of the tongue, removing bacteria, food particles, and other debris. Despite the advancement of modern materials, many traditional tongue-cleaning tools are still used today and are widely available in a variety of materials and designs.
In modern times, tongue cleaning has been studied by dental professionals, and research has shown that it can be an effective tool in reducing bad breath and improving overall hygiene and health. Tongue cleaning is widely practiced and is often recommended by dentists and oral health experts as part of a comprehensive oral hygiene routine. Tongue-cleaning devices, such as tongue scrapers, are widely available today and come in a variety of materials, including plastic, metal, and bamboo.
Primary benefits of tongue scraping,
- Remove white coating and debris from the tongue
- Improve oral hygiene.
- Eliminate bad breath.
- Stimulate the digestive system.
- Promote overall health and well-being
- Improve taste.
Is Copper Tongue Cleaner Good?
Copper is inherently antimicrobial and can help kill or prevent the growth of bacteria, viruses, and other microorganisms. This makes copper an effective material for a tongue cleaner, as it can help reduce the buildup of bacteria and other substances on the tongue that can contribute to bad breath, tooth decay, and other oral health problems.
In addition, copper is a durable and long-lasting material that is resistant to corrosion and tarnishing. This makes copper tongue cleaners a good investment, as they can last for years with proper care and maintenance.
Overall, copper's antimicrobial properties and durability make it a popular choice for tongue cleaners, and many people find that copper tongue cleaners are effective and convenient to use.
Tongue scraping using metals like copper is done for the following reasons
- stimulate the internal organs through energetic connections
- Improve digestion by increasing the sense of taste
- Cleanse the body by removing unwanted bacteria from the tongue
- Inherently Antimicrobial
- Suitable for all ages
- Targets only the bad bacteria and leaves good bacteria intact
- Helps maintain healthy gums and teeth as it reduces the formation of plaque
- Removes White coating or toxic debris so you can taste your food better
- Improves overall digestive health
- Easy to clean or maintain.
- Durable & Long lasting
- Eco friendly
How to use a copper tongue scraper
Copper tongue scraper is a simple yet effective tool to maintain oral hygiene by removing bacteria, food particles, and debris from the surface of your tongue. Here's how to use a copper tongue scraper properly.
How to clean copper tongue scraper
Deep Cleaning your copper tongue scraper at least once in a week is important to maintain its hygiene and appearance.
Materials You'll Need:
- Warm water
- Mild soap or dish detergent
- Soft brush or toothbrush
- Lemon juice and salt
- Begin by rinsing the copper tongue scraper under warm running water to remove any loose debris or residue.
- Apply a small amount of mild soap or dish detergent to the copper scraper. You can use your fingers or a soft brush for this step.
- Gently scrub the entire surface of the tongue scraper, including both sides and the edges. Use a soft brush or toothbrush to reach into crevices if necessary. Avoid using abrasive materials or harsh scrubbers that could scratch the copper.
- Rinse the tongue scraper thoroughly under warm running water to remove all soap residue. Ensure that no soap is left on the surface.
- If you want to maintain the shine of your copper tongue scraper, you can polish it occasionally. Mix equal parts lemon juice and salt to create a paste. Apply this paste to the scraper and gently rub it in with a soft cloth or sponge.
- Rinse it off thoroughly with warm water.
- After cleaning, use a clean, dry cloth or paper towel to dry the copper tongue scraper completely. This helps prevent the formation of water spots or tarnishes.
- Store the clean and dry tongue scraper in a clean, dry place.
As you embark on this journey to a cleaner tongue and better health, remember that maintaining your tongue scraper is just as important as using it. Regular cleaning and proper storage ensure that your tool remains effective and hygienic.
In conclusion, tongue scraping may seem like a simple practice, but its impact on your oral hygiene and overall well-being is profound. Rooted in ancient traditions and supported by modern research, it's a habit that can lead to fresher breath, improved digestion, and a healthier mouth.
Opt for an ayurvedic tool like a copper tongue cleaner and make tongue scraping a daily ritual alongside brushing and flossing, and you'll unlock the full spectrum of benefits it offers. So, embrace the wisdom of tongue scraping, honor the traditions that have recognized its value for centuries, and take a step towards a healthier mouth and a brighter smile. Your tongue may be a small part of your body, but it's care plays a significant role in your overall health and well-being.
Try our other Ayurvedic self care products,