USE OF ESSENTIAL OILS FOR SNORING
Snoring not only ruins your sleep but also of the ones who are sharing the room with you. Imagine sleeping when there is an ear-shattering disturbance right next to you. Also, you might not rest well yourself when you find it hard to breathe. The reasons for snoring are branched out in different directions. It could be a harmless inherited trait, a small irritation in the air passage, or an evident result of an underlying health issue. Sometimes all you need are Home-made Snoring Remedies to get rid of this condition. You can even use essential oils for snoring. Complex situations demand medical interference.
Whatever be the scenario, everyone wants to break ties with this embarrassing state. You can get all the tips and tricks here. However, before that, let's know a little more about this 'sleep destroyer'.
The mechanism of snoring is pretty simple to understand. When there is a blockage that prevents the free flow of air through your air passage, the surrounding tissues vibrate and produce the sound. That is quite common and every other person experiences it. When you slip into a deep sleep, the throat muscles relax, in turn narrowing your airways. That leads to snoring. If you consume alcohol, then these throat muscles are relaxed faster leading to more chances of snoring. So, you know what you should stay away from if you want to prevent snoring.
How snoring is caused:
There are several causes that can lead to Snoring at night. Some can be minute while others are too dangerous to ignore.
- Age - When you are older, the muscles in your throat and nasal region relax quicker when you sleep. So the obstruction is obvious and the tissues vibrate when air tries to move. In this case, essential oil for snoring can be used.
- Obesity - This can create bulky throat tissue that will block the nasal pathway.
- Anatomy - When you have a long soft palate, it can narrow the path that leads from your nose to throat, resulting in snoring.
- Alcohol and smoking - Practices like this will result in quick relaxation of throat muscles when you sleep. They can even cause swelling of the muscles in the area that might be a stepping stone to serious throat cancers.
- Sleeping deprivation and position - When you sleep on your back, the muscles relax quicker. So, turn to a side and sleep. When you don’t get enough rest, you get pulled into a deep slumber that causes muscle relaxation.
- Underlying health issues - People tend to snore a lot when they are suffering from Type 2 diabetes, have cardiovascular issues, or Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA).
Popular Treatments for snoring:
When the snoring problem is getting worse, medical involvement becomes necessary. There are several treatments to cure the problem. But if you are having cardiovascular issues, you need to treat them to completely get rid of snoring.
- Somnoplasty - This is the procedure that is used to stiffen or tighten the loose uvula/ soft palate that causes the obstruction of the airway. They use heat energy on the base of the tongue to alter the shape of the uvula.
- Laser-assisted Uvulopalatoplasty - The laser is used to shorten the length of the uvula. Even small cuts are made on the uvula, which while healing tends to cause the stiffening of the surrounding tissue.
- Implants - A small plastic implant is inserted into the soft palate to stiffen the muscle there.
- Removal of tonsils and adenoids in case they are blocking the air pathway.
- Elastic straps or clips can be used to widen the nostrils while you sleep.
Natural Remedy for snoring:
There are certain Snoring remedies you can follow to stop the sound naturally. If you are consistent in what you are doing, you will see results in no time.
- You need to exercise every day to maintain toned muscles. The excess weight in your body not only leads to snoring like it previously mentioned but also causes Cardiovascular dysfunctions. So, make good lifestyle choices.
- Change your sleeping position and try to use dim lighting when you sleep. Both of these will help in relaxed breathing and regular airflow.
- Allergies can also lead to snoring sometimes so be sure to change your pillow covers and sheets once a week at least.
- You need to quit smoking and drinking. If you are addicted to them, then rehab is a good option.
- Remove inflammatory foods like sugars, vegetable oils and high carbs from your diet. They unnecessarily aggravate the muscles of your nose and throat.
You can use humidifiers for your rooms to prevent snoring because of dry air. Also, you can use essential oils for snoring. We will discuss more about it in the next section.
Using Essential Oils for snoring:
Also known as ethereal oils, these have been in use to treat health issues for a very long time. People stand by essential oils for their anti-snoring benefits and the results are evident if you use them dedicatedly. Here’s how you can prepare the best snore stop essential oil recipe with different oils.
Thyme Essential Oil:
Thyme is a condiment that is often used in food preparations. Thanks to its spice, it adds a good flavour to dishes. To top that, the oil extracted from its leaves is used in cough therapy. This is also useful to prevent snoring.
Thyme belongs to the mint family and thus has a soothing effect on the throat. It clears the mucus that often blocks the air pathway.
The best recipe is to dilute two or three drops of thyme essential oil with a carrier oil like jojoba. Rubbing this on your feet at night can help to reduce snoring. Inhale the scent of this oil before sleeping.
Eucalyptus Essential Oil:
Eucalyptus is grown everywhere but not everyone is aware of the benefits that its leaves hold. After drying and distillation, the oil is extracted.
This also has a minty smell and works great for people who want to clear their throat or treat their sinuses. It also helps to prevent tonsil inflammation.
The best way to use this essential oil for snoring is by adding it to your steamer. Take good water steam with two or three drops of the oil.
Peppermint Essential Oil:
A magical hybrid of spearmint and watermint, this plant is widely grown in North America and European regions.
Peppermint oil helps to clear sinuses and also relieves symptoms of asthma and the common cold. It breaks down the mucus blocking your respiratory tract.
You can rub a drop or two of peppermint oil on your palms, rub them and inhale the scent. Add a drop or two of the oil on your pillow so that you’ll subconsciously breathe in the scent at night.
Lavender Essential Oil:
Another beautiful plant from the mint family that has an alluring scent and great colour. The oil extracted from their purple flowers is used to enhance beauty.
Lavender is a soothing agent that helps to promote the release of melatonin - the sleep hormone. It relieves anxiety and relaxes tension. That way, you will get better sleep. If tension and stress is the reason for your snoring, lavender helps.
If you have the habit of taking a bath before sleeping, add a drop or two to the water. Add it to your diffuser, or mix it with a bit of water and use as a room freshener.
Lemon Essential Oil:
Lemons are usually used in making impressive delicacies or mocktails. Extracted from the lemon zest, the oil is relaxing and improves one's mood.
Lemon oil is useful to contract the muscles. Seeing how muscle relaxation causes obstruction, this contraction can clear your airway.
Lemon oil has a euphoria associated with it. So, it is always advised to blend it with a carrier oil and rub it on your throat and chest area. In fact, you can combine lavender oil and lemon oil, rub it on your chest region.
Pine Essential Oil:
Obtained from the twigs and cones of the Pine, this oil is very popular for its cleansing activity. It is known as a good antioxidant and used in aromatherapy.
Pine oil acts as a potent anti-inflammatory agent. It prevents the swelling of throat muscles because of stress or infection. It opens your airway, preventing snoring.
The snore stopping essential oil recipe using pine oil is - combined with a good carrier oil like almond oil, coconut oil or jojoba oil and massage near the throat region.
Essential oils are no risk investments and they do help. They have no side effects and are completely safe. You can easily get them from any store nearby or order online. They are the best natural snoring remedies that also bring in several other advantages. They improve your respiratory and mental health. It is convenient to diffuse these oils as well. You can rub them on your feet, rub them on your palms and inhale the scent, massage them into your body or use a good diffuser. You can go for steam treatment as well. But along with using essential oils for snoring, you should have a good lifestyle and maintain consistency. Nothing happens overnight so you have to stay patient for a while. That will eventually stop the snoring and give you a good night’s sleep.